Thursday, January 26, 2012

itsy bitsy spider



Yesterday when I went out to hang the washing out I just had to go back and get my camera, the sun was shining on the spider web.  It looked just like spun silk.  We have been watching her since she set up her web from before Christmas.  She is just out midway between the fence and the backdoor.  I am aware of her and make sure I veer off to the right to hang out the clothes, otherwise I would meet her face to face, thats a scary prospect.  We know she's a she as we watched her zap a smaller one when he went to mate with her, had her way and then zap.  A huntsman spider eyed her up from under the eaves but there was no way he could climb her web.  She sits out there all day in torrential rain and searing heat, I guess we will go out one day and she will be gone.  We have this brown bird with a red wattle that goes around the house and fence snapping up the spiders but I haven't seen it for a while now, I guess there is a glut of spiders around for it to feed on.  No I didn't get up close with the last one, I used the zoom, no way am I getting within 1 cm with this one, she'd probably jump on my camera or worse still my hair eeeek..... As you can see this is no neat spider web it has bits going off in all directions, all those black lumpy things are insects it has caught and eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment