Wednesday, March 19, 2014

life and death

 Last week I joined garden club.  They meet once a month and visit different gardens in the South West.  I knew they where visiting two along the river in Donnybrook where I walk, and I was dead keen to see them.  The one above has lots and lots of roses, it is beautiful and will look forward to seeing it in Spring
 This was the other one which was very tropical with lots of palms and as you can see such healthy ponga's, mind you they are in the shade, there is a waterfall in there too, so gets lots of water.
 This is the river, they have these dams with flood gates which you can see is open on the far side.  This is further upstream from where we are renting and by the time it gets behind us it is more a creek than a river.  I am told it floods a lot in winter, I would like to see that just at the moment in time.

 This is the ruins of the old aboriginal jail, you can see some of the handmade bricks and old timbers scattered around which is all that is left.  A few of us climbed the gate to go and see.  Apparently the warden had a wooden house and the prisoners lived in tents.  I love seeing history like this.
 Look at these lovely old bones, as you can see this skull is not as good condition as the one I picked up.  I had to walk back to the van with it much to the amusement of the ladies in the garden club and a few strange looks walking through town.  But being a Johnson, I was not going to let that get in the way of scoring a free cattle skull with horns.  Maybe this beast got caught in the flood as the river is just over the fence.
And this is my little baby, will have it in succulent garden in the new house.
Love you all
Jacky

2 comments:

  1. Now go back and get the other one for me...lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too please. What a score. Peter and i have just brought a beautiful skin rug. Good you have joined the garden club.

    ReplyDelete